This is a short potted history of the church – how it came to be where it is now – and how the current suite of church, halls, rooms and buildings came into existence.
In 1872 – Mr & Mrs John Watson of Knock Methodist on the Ballymacarrett circuit of churches held Sunday School classes in their home in Victoria Road, Sydenham
In 1874 – Responsibility for this work was transferred to Knock when it became a separate circuit
In 1883 – Foundation stones were laid for a Mission Hall on the site of Station Road and Palmerston Road
In 1884 – On 21 March the Mission Hall was opened and dedicated
In 1899 – The first Minister, Rev Richard Green, was appointed to work specifically in Sydenham
In 1914 – Sydenham Methodist transferred back to the Ballymacarrett circuit
In 1958 – On 14 June the new church, built on the former tennis courts beside the hall, was officially opened. The original building on the site became known as the Watson Hall
In 1960 – Sydenham Methodist became an independent circuit, the first superintendent being the Rev Desmond Morris
In 1963 – The Ferguson Hall was opened
In 1984 – Centenary Celebrations were held
In 1992 – A ‘three phase project’ to extend the church building, replace the Watson Hall and clear the debt on the project was launched
In 1993 – The extension to the church building, the main room of which is known as the “Taylor Room”, was opened
In 1996 – The Watson Hall was demolished
In 1997 – The new Watson Hall, linked to the Ferguson Hall by a new entrance hall, kitchen and toilet facilities, was opened
In 2003 – The debt on the project was cleared
In 2004 – The Quarterly Meeting was replaced with the Church Council, which was considerably reduced in number of members.
In 2009 – we refurbished the kitchen in the church halls.
In 2010 – Sydenham Methodist Church hosted the annual Conference of the Methodist Church in Ireland.
Did you know?
Since 1899, 36 ministers have been appointed to Sydenham Methodist, eleven of whom subsequently were elected President of the Methodist Church