blooming daffodils

 

History

This is a short potted history of the church – how it came to be where it is now – and how the current suite of church, halls, rooms and buildings came into existence.

In 1872 – Mr & Mrs John Watson of Knock Methodist on the Ballymacarrett circuit of churches held Sunday School classes in their home in Victoria Road, Sydenham

In 1874 – Responsibility for this work was transferred to Knock when it became a separate circuit

In 1883 – Foundation stones were laid for a Mission Hall on the site of Station Road and Palmerston Road

In 1884 – On 21 March the Mission Hall was opened and dedicated

In 1899 – The first Minister, Rev Richard Green, was appointed to work specifically in Sydenham

In 1914 – Sydenham Methodist transferred back to the Ballymacarrett circuit

In 1958 – On 14 June the new church, built on the former tennis courts beside the hall, was officially opened. The original building on the site became known as the Watson Hall

In 1960 – Sydenham Methodist became an independent circuit, the first superintendent being the Rev Desmond Morris

In 1963 – The Ferguson Hall was opened

In 1984 – Centenary Celebrations were held

In 1992 – A ‘three phase project’ to extend the church building, replace the Watson Hall and clear the debt on the project was launched

In 1993 – The extension to the church building, the main room of which is known as the “Taylor Room”, was opened

In 1996 – The Watson Hall was demolished

In 1997 – The new Watson Hall, linked to the Ferguson Hall by a new entrance hall, kitchen and toilet facilities, was opened

In 2003 – The debt on the project was cleared

In 2004 – The Quarterly Meeting was replaced with the Church Council, which was considerably reduced in number of members.

In 2009 – we refurbished the kitchen in the church halls.

In 2010 – Sydenham Methodist Church hosted the annual Conference of the Methodist Church in Ireland.

Did you know?

Since 1899, 36 ministers have been appointed to Sydenham Methodist, eleven of whom subsequently were elected President of the Methodist Church

Sunday 22 April 2018

Rev Robin Waugh will be the preacher at both services at 11.00 am and 7.00 pm. We give a warm welcome to anyone wanting to visit our church and spend time in fellowship with us. Please make yourself known to the minister or door steward.

Girls’ Brigade Display

This Friday, 27 April 2018 at 6.30 pm.

View all Events

Sunday 22 April 2018 – morning sermon

Listen to the morning sermon.

Notice Sheet

Here is the notice sheet for the week beginning Sunday 22 April 2018.

Sunday 15 April 2018 – sermons

Listen to the sermons.

View all Resources

We're on Twitter , Facebook & Flickr

Sign up for email updates here.